Nothing is as frustrating as running out of printer ink and having to interrupt your work to run out and buy more. This is one reason that it pays to keep spare ink on hand. By stocking up on affordable compatible ink cartridges, you should be able to avoid this conundrum. With that being said, it's still nice to have an idea about how much ink is left in an HP printer. The good news is that it's relatively easy to check HP ink levels. Learn a few of the top ways to do so below.
Print a Statistics Page
If you have an older printer, it may not offer a quick and easy way to check ink and toner levels. On modern printers, for example, you can usually do this through the control panel on your computer. Some printers even show ink levels right on their displays. If neither of these options is available, try printing a statistics page instead. Check your owner's manual to find out how to do so. The statistics page will include a huge array of information, including HP ink levels. You may even be able to find out how many pages can be printed with the current supply of ink.
Steps for Checking the Ink Level with Your Computer
Newer printers often have user-friendly interfaces that can be easily accessed on computers. You may even be able to place an icon for your printer right on your desktop. By opening the interface, you should be able to check the HP ink levels on your printer quickly and easily. If your printer doesn't offer this feature, and if it doesn't show ink levels right on its display, you may be able to check them by following these steps:
- Make sure your printer is connected to your computer and that it is online. It needs to be turned on as well.
- Click on the Start menu, which is located at the bottom-left corner of your desktop. Click on "Settings," and then click on "Control Panel." In some instances, the "Control Panel" option may appear immediately after opening the Start menu. You may also be able to search for what you need with the search field at the bottom of the screen.
- In some cases, you may have to click on "Print Settings" from the Start menu. From there, navigate over to the "Printer Toolbox" section.
- Locate the "Printer and Faxes" section or something with a similar name. Your printer should appear on the list.
- Right-click on your printer and select "Preferences." Click on "Service this Device."
- A window should open. Look for an option that says "Estimated Ink Levels" or something similar. After selecting this option, you'll be presented with a visual representation of how much ink or toner is left in the cartridges in your printer.
If you print on a regular basis, you should get a feel for how long an ink cartridge is going to last. However, it's a lot nicer to be able to quickly and easily check your printer's ink levels. If none of the above suggestions work, check your printer's owner's manual. You could also search for the specific model number of your printer online.
By knowing how much ink is left in your HP printer, you won't have to worry about running out in the middle of an important print job. Even if you're fully aware of how much ink is left, make sure to keep spare ink or toner cartridges on hand. When ink does run out, you will be ready to go with a new cartridge.