Issues with technology and electronics are normal to experience, and scanners in the HP Photosmart series have their share of problems. It is important for users to recognize some common malfunctions and understand that there are easy solutions available. Having the ability to fix certain problems will help users avoid frustration and replacing the scanner. The most common issues with HP Photosmart scanners involve the software, operating system and mechanical parts.
Symptoms of software issues include inability to open the program, incompatibility errors and program crashes. Most of these problems are caused by installation errors or outdated software. If you think your scanner is experiencing problems with its software, you can follow the steps below.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet and check for updates to your scanner's model.
- Download the appropriate updates and install them to your computer.
- If there are no updates, you may need to completely reinstall the software.
- Go to control panel and find the add/remove icon. Locate your scanner's software and click the uninstall button.
- After the uninstall process is complete, you will need to install the original software again. You can either use the CD that came with your scanner or download the software online.
Sometimes, problems can occur with the computer's operating system for both Mac and PC users. With this type of issue, the scanner's software will usually crash when saving or not open at all. You can check online for updated versions that are compatible with your operating system. If there are no updates, you may have to disable the startup programs in Windows or configure the scanner for Mac OS.
- To disable Windows startup programs, find msconfig.exe by typing it into the search bar in your start menu.
- Click the startup tab to view a list of all the programs that load when Windows boots up.
- Uncheck the programs that are interfering with your scanner software.
If you are running a Mac OS, you might experience application crashes when saving, white lines on your images or error messages indicating poor communication between scanner and computer. If there are no updates available, you will need to configure your scanner to the appropriate settings.
- Open the scanning application and find the settings tab.
- Change the file type to something other than JPEG because this format causes application crashes.
- You can change the image type, color, resolution and size until you find settings that will not interfere with the image quality.
Malfunctioning HP Photosmart scanners can make unusual noises while operating, and these sounds indicate a mechanical problem. You can troubleshoot by turning off the scanner and unplugging it from your computer and the power source. After waiting about one minute, plug everything back in and turn the scanner on. If the device continues to make the sound when you try the job again, it is best to contact technical support.
For flatbed scanners, dirty surfaces can cause images to appear blurry or contain streaks. You can easily clean the surface with a cloth and some regular window cleaner. It is important to remove the glass panel before attempting to clean it. Most HP Photosmart scanners' surfaces are connected by screws that you can remove with a screwdriver. Clean both sides of the panel and replace it while ensuring the screws are tight. Your images should come out clearer after performing this solution.
If you are unsure about the causes of your scanner's issues, it is best to reference the user manual or call technical support for further assistance.