Laser printers use a combination of a drum and a toner cartridge. The cartridge contains the toner, the powdery substance and the drum transfers the toner onto the paper. In many models, like the Oki C3200 toner printer, these are sold and installed as a single unit. However, this often causes both to be replaced when only one is empty. Okidata printers are designed so that the toner and drum are separate units, allowing them to be individually changed when needed.
In Okidata printers the drum and toner cartridge snap together to form a single unit. When one is empty, the printer will be unable to print. However, only one needs to be replaced. This involves unsnapping the drum from the toner cartridge. Snap together the new one and replace it in the printer. The following is a step-by-step guide on how to replace the drums in Okidata printers.
- Power off the printer.
- Place a piece of paper near the printer. This is to protect any surface that excess toner might leak on to.
- Unlock and remove the drum from the printer. Be careful to watch for excess toner that could spill onto something.
- Unlock the toner cartridge from the drum.
- Set the toner cartridge on the paper.
- Snap a new drum onto the toner, as toner may still be left in the cartridge.
- Lock the drum and toner into the printer.
- Turn on the printer.
After this, the printer should be ready to print. It should recognize the new drum and remaining Oki toner. Replacing the drum on an Okidata printer may appear to be a hassle and difficult. However, it is worth learning how to do. By continuing to use the toner cartridge and only replacing the drum, significant savings can be realized.